Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun is an Orthodox synagogue located in
Manhattan’s upper-east side. The Sanctuary was built in 1872. In July of
2011 the Synagogue suffered a massive fire, which charred the entire
interior of the structure. Luckily, the exterior shell of the building
was still salvageable and did not have be replaced.
The stained glass was severely damaged by the blaze, and almost 60% of
the windows were either shattered or fell victim to heat-shock. Any
glass that was salvageable was saved and restored.
A majority of the stained glass was replicated in kind. The windows were
reinstalled into custom thermally-broken triple glazed aluminum frames.
Insulated units were applied as the exterior protective glazing along
with new flashing details.
The the interior side of the frames were fitted with a blast-mitigation
system to protect against a possible terror attack.
The south Fašade’s large balcony windows were originally dressed with
Corinthian capitals and wood mouldings that were damaged in the fire.
They were replaced with custom fibre-reinforced plastic mouldings and
capitols that were replicated to match the originals.
All of the frames that house the stained glass are vented to the
interior air, creating an isothermal setting that will protect the
windows for many years to come.